Case Studies - Autodesk
Tools and technology used:
With over 10 million users across 185 countries, Autodesk is the world’s leading supplier of advanced 2D and 3D design, engineering, and project collaboration software tools. For over 25 years, firm have relied on Autodesk’s flagship product, AutoCAD, in addition to industry-leading 3D software solutions. Autodesk had $1.7 billion annual revenues in fiscal year 2010.
Inefficient processes to create and manage product Help content
Each time Autodesk released a new version of software, the process of developing, editing and publishing Help content was cumbersome and took a long time to complete. Customer-facing user manuals contained only a portion of the relevant topic, while call center agents had access to the entire library of content.
Autodesk needed to lower overhead costs while improving too adoption and increasing customer retention. To meet client expectations, Autodesk recognized the need to evolve their static product documentation into a collaborative Web 2.0 community-based product Help solution.
Fairway Technologies implemented an online product Help platform
Autodesk selected MindTouch as their preferred online collaboration platform. Autodesk then turned to Fairway Technologies to customize, integrate and implement the MindTouch collaboration software.
- Fairway Technologies created custom functionality to enhance Help content usability, including a 1 to 5 star rating system and tagging functionality. Due to the large number of products and topics available in the Help library, tags enabled users to label and access Help content more effectively, and star-ratings enabled end users to vote for the most valuable Help content.
- Fairway augmented native MindTouch search capabilities by developing code that returned highest star-rated content at the top of search results, and filtered user-designated tags.
- Fairway Technologies developed a custom engine that migrated tens of thousands of content pieces from Autodesk’s previous program, RoboHelp, into MindTouch.
- Fairway customized the system to provide a seamless look and feel to the Autodesk website.
- Fairway Technologies’ expert project management guided each phase of the project.
- At every stage of development, Fairway Technologies cross-trained the Autodesk IT team.
Autodesk accelerated their strategy to migrate all product lines into the new online wiki-based Help solution. By partnering with Fairway, Autodesk:
- Improved the user experience with better online access to valuable product Help content.
- Saved thousands of labor hours by building a migration engine for moving content from an old system to the new one.
- Reduced overhead costs associated with creating and managing Help content.
- Lowered support costs by reducing phone and email inquiries due to improved online self-service.
- Improved efficiency for rolling out new versions of product Help content.