- Mail Relay
As its student population continued to grow and email load increased, Bridgepoint’s email system simply could not scale to the volume required to service their vast user base. Weekly email runs had slowed to a crawl, taking nearly eight hours to successfully send 20,000 emails.
In order for the high email volumes not to crash the server, Bridgepoint was forced to send them during off-peak hours and stagger the emails as they passed through the in-house email server. As an institution that prides itself on the secure and timely delivery of its email messages, Bridgepoint needed a solution that could reliably send a minimum of 100,000 emails in under an hour, while tracking sender reputation to avoid blacklisting.Bridgepoint turned to Fairway Technologies to uncover the bottleneck(s) in their email delivery workflow and make improvements that would scale to support their current and future email delivery requirements.
Fairway Technologies recommended and implemented mail relay
- Interviewed stakeholders from various departments – collected and analyzed information from interviewees to understand previous attempts to resolve the issue, and determined points of consensus and contention among stakeholders
- Evaluated current email architecture and environment – met with architecture team to understand IT vision and direction
- Proposed viable options – which included a) optimize in-house system, b) outsource everything to external provider, or c) send via external mail relay. Bridgepoint decided on a mail relay
- Conducted in-depth vendor analysis – examined seven different email providers using a comprehensive list of twenty-six questions to identify common features and differentiators
- Provided a recommendation – SendGrid stood out and was ultimately selected for a combination of leading factors including cost, features, and ability to meet Bridgepoint’s goal and deadline
- New architecture can now easily manage Bridgepoint’s increased volume of 3-4 million outgoing emails per month with plenty of room for projected growth
- Bridgepoint may now allocate more time and resources to strategic growth initiatives, rather than bulk email issues
- Streamlined email delivery system seamlessly accommodates high volumes quickly and efficiently
- Reduced reliance on internal, maxed-out mail server
- SendGrid functionality allows Bridgepoint to accurately manage and track campaign performance with critical analytics including total number of opens, clicks, and bounces
“With Fairway we got the full package; a top notch consulting service to provide insight and expertise, a comprehensive and coordinated plan to execute, excellent client support, and a solution that significantly enhanced email delivery efficiency, maintained reliability, and has the flexibility to scale to future requirements.”
– Mark Campbell, Director of Software Development at Bridgepoint Education.